Okay, after that long entry on my actual writing journey. I wanted to go over my book’s journey itself.
My finished novel has a name, something I thought I’d never decide on but finally did: Goddess Born.
GB started as a story idea when I first got it in my head to write but the story that came to me in my dream when I was 12 is nowhere near the same story that I have today. If anything, that story when I was 12 became 3 stories, two of which I probably won’t write, or if I do it’ll really be for a torturous please, rather than trying to get them published.
The concept itself started in our world, an unnamed big city. I was definitely unseasoned because it took years before I gave names to places. My main character who went through constant name changes was a thief.
She was also able to change forms into a tiger.
I thought it was a brilliant idea. I mean, we all knew about werewolves, but who’d ever heard about were-tigers. I hadn’t.
Eventually that story evolved away from my original character, who by the end was left with the name Selene, her story will be an interesting one if I decide to write it because she definitely lived a tortured life in the end.
The first change that happened in the story is that I included setting and realized that it couldn’t be in our world so I tried my hands and world building. I think I did okay there.
The next change was the character who took her place, Selene’s daughter Lynn.
But she was still a were-tiger. I still think it’s an awesome idea though the idea of different weres has been popular lately.
It still took a couple years before I really came up with a solid plan, basically the year of NaNo 2011. That’s when I started getting an idea of where I wanted this story to go, but I was still flying by the seat of my pants thinking I didn’t need no stinkin’ outline.
I’ve come to realize I need a stinkin’ outline.
Having an outline gave me a plan.
In 2012 was when I really sat down and wrote that outline out. Writing that outline helped me nail down my concept instead of guessing. I could have saved myself years of work, hopefully I can keep that in mind for future projects.
So, after two conferences and a lot of blog hopping, plus books that I’ve read myself I learned that it took more than a story to sell a book, you had to meet requirements for genre and make sure the story didn’t go off in to topics that didn’t fit that genre. We all know there is some lee-way, but there are some definite no-nos in some genres.
My book started as a young adult book but moved to a little older, mostly because what was happening really wouldn’t be found in young adult books.
I knew the term New Adult is floating around, I guess you can put it in that slot, but for now I am just saying it’s a paranormal romance.
Let’s get some embarrassing stats out of the way now that we’ve finished with the novel other then some niceties:
The original book as of end of September 2013:
Book ended up with 63 chapters and an epilogue. It was 193K words (I threw up all over those pages). Those 193K words took up 637 double spaced pages.
The second draft as of November 2013:
Book ended up with 50 chapters and an epilogue.I brought it down to 83K words. I was amazed I was even able to do that! Those words brought it to an amazing 361 double spaced pages.
Now with this book cut down significantly my hubs is reading over it. He’s brilliant and catches a lot of pesky grammar, spelling and consistency errors that I tend to trip over myself if I’m not careful.
I have some others reading it as well so I can get some feedback as well as the fact that I put it into the Zebulon contest for Pikes Peak Writers Conference 2014.
Hopefully people like it.
Now on to the next project, whatever that may be!